International Students Welcome!
MISD is a Student and exchange Visitor Program certified school and can provide a Form I-20 to support your student visa to study in the United States. At MISD we welcome international students from around the world. Our students and alumni are a diverse community, from all countries and backgrounds, united by a common philosophy. Upon graduation, many of our alumni find positions at Montessori schools in the United States and ultimately choose to stay in this country. Many also choose to return to their home countries, or seek positions in other countries around the world, bringing with them the knowledge that they have gained to enrich the global community of Montessori educators.
Click here to access the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and to apply for a student visa through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
International students incur an additional $500 International Student Fee, payable to MISD.
All classes at the Montessori Institute of San Diego are given in English. International students from non-English speaking countries must take either the TOEFL – Designated Institution Code: B720 – (Internet- 80, Paper Based 550) or the IELTS (overall band score 6.5), unless they hold a degree from a university OR AMI training center in an English-speaking country. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit your application online
- Submit any supplemental materials for your application (official transcripts, recommendation letters, English test scores)
- If you are accepted, please see the instructions for obtaining your visa below:
F-1 visa Process:
- Be accepted to MISD
- Fill out the International Student Form
- Pay your $500 International Student Fee (see instructions in your admissions letter)
- When you receive your I-20, check the information carefully and sign the form in blue ink
- Schedule an interview appointment at your nearest consulate or embassy (wait times for interview appointments vary by location, season, and visa category; apply for your visa early)
- Fill out, pay and print the receipt for I-901 SEVIS Form (www.fmjfee.com). The fee for this form is $200.00
- Fill, pay, and print the receipt for Visa Application Form DS-160 (https://ceac.state.gov/CEAC/). The fee for this form is $160.00
Bring these items to the visa interview:
- Printed receipt of I-901 Form
- Printed receipt of DS-160 Form
- Valid passport
- I-20 Form (sent by MISD)
- Financial information to demonstrate you have the amount needed to pay for your studies abroad (bank statements and/or letters of sponsorship from all sources of financial backing paying your tuition for the course)
- You might be asked to bring papers or proof that you have every intention of returning to your home country following your training
- You might also be asked to bring transcripts and diplomas of your past studies
Embassies and consulates vary in what they require for international student visas. Please check with your consulate or embassy to see what is required of you.
Downloadable instructions: Steps for Acquiring F-1 Visa for International Students
*If you have any questions regarding the process of applying for a student visa, please contact us at email@example.com. We are more than happy to guide you through this process*