There is a reason that Montessori draws some of the most thoughtful, passionate, and idealistic educators around…
It’s because as Montessorians, we believe in the sacred individuality of each child. We are fascinated by the beauty of the child’s journey toward knowledge and independence. If you find yourself similarly fascinated, a Montessori teacher certification may be for you.
Dr. Montessori made a careful, systematic, scientific study of children – how they think, how they develop, how they learn, what motivates them, what they enjoy, what their natural tendencies are, and how those tendencies may be either corrupted or nurtured by an educational environment. At MISD, you gain access to the culmination of this careful study, and the work that has been done to elaborate it over the years – a brilliant theory of education that has gained worldwide recognition.
Your Montessori certification will advance your career, and serve as an alternative teaching certificate that is a respected passport in early childhood education.
In earning your AMI teaching certificate, you will:
- Learn how to prepare a state-of-the-art Montessori classroom environment, and ensure that children are optimally challenged at all stages of their development.
- Learn Montessori curriculum in all areas of the classroom, including Practical Life, Sensorial, Mathematics, Language, Geography, Science (heavy emphasis on Biology), History, Art, and Music.
- Learn to understand and properly use the wealth of specially-designed Montessori materials developed by Dr. Montessori over the course of her life’s work with children.
- Learn the science of child development (from birth to 12 years).
- Learn the rich and subtle theory behind the Montessori method, and learn to apply it in practice in many different types of situations, with many different types of children.
- Develop the skills to help parents support their children’s development at home.
- Be guided to self-author a set of hand-illustrated Montessori albums that you will take with you as a resource throughout your Montessori career.
- Complete practical observations and student teaching at fantastic Montessori schools.
- Receive mentorship and support in locating the Montessori teaching job of your dreams.
- Gain access to an international community of high-quality Montessori schools, many of which require an AMI diploma as their hiring standard for lead teachers.
- If you are coming from abroad, the AMI diploma opens doors at Montessori schools in the United States, which in turn creates the opportunity for a work visa and/or a green card in this country.
- Enjoy the beautiful weather and exciting city of San Diego, California, and in particular the beauty of the La Jolla neighborhood.